Within the chiropractic profession, there are over 200 techniques:
- This essentially is their “approach” to analyzing your health combined with their “style” of intervention.
- One chiropractor may approach your spine from a “top-down” mentality, meaning they believe that the top-most bones place pressure on the brainstem and therefore are the most important bones to check and adjust.
- Another chiropractor may approach your spine from a “foundational” mentality, meaning they believe that since we are creatures who exist in gravity, that a level foundation must be secured in order to create spinal stability.
Why you care:
- Out of the 200 techniques, there are about 5-10 that are taught in schools.
- Out of the 5-10 taught in schools there is only ONE technique that has developed it’s own x-ray analysis, palpation analysis, and adjusting method that is used by the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE) to license chiropractors–the Gonstead Technique.
- The Gonstead Technique is only practiced by less than 10% of all licensed chiropractors.
“A Master of None”:
- The most common technique practiced by chiropractors is known as the “diversified” technique.
- This is the basic adjusting technique taught to lower quarter students in chiropractic school.
- Some students elect to invest hours of their time and thousands of dollars in order to be trained in other techniques to be able to serve a broad range of potential patients with confidence. Other students stick with what they were taught in school and use it throughout their career.
Gonstead: The Gold Standard of Chiropractic:
- The Gonstead Technique is so versatile, it can be used on pediatric patients, elderly, and everything in between.
- The founder, Dr. Clarence Gonstead started adjusting this way back in 1923. Over his 50 year-long career, he honed his craft and developed a system of analysis and adjusting that he taught to chiropractors so they could get the incredible results he was getting.
- In the 1950’s-1970’s, The Gonstead Clinic of Chiropractic, located in Mt. Horeb, WI built a hotel and an AIRSTRIP on their property to accommodate the thousands of people who would drive or fly to the clinic in search of someone who could help them heal.
- Effective at helping people with both musculoskeletal conditions and organic disease, Dr. Gonstead revolutionized chiropractic forever.
Reach out with further questions–we can be reached at:
1222 Pray Blvd. Suite 1
Waterville, OH 43566